Today is the last day of school for Miss Seven and Mr. Ten. It’s not even June! And it seems a very long time until August. (Though when I look at my calendar, it’s clear we won’t be sitting at home with nothing to do.) I thought it might be a good time to revisit my New Year’s Resolutions, see what we’ve accomplished, and make a plan for what I might tackle over the summer months.
Paint and paper the kids’ bathroom; replace the shoe moulding; add floating shelves(bonus points: raise the light fixture and frame the mirror)
- Organize the tools in the garage
Clean out the laundry room
- Replace the computer armoire with a simple desk in the living room (maybe a DIY with an old door and some IKEA table legs)
- Continue the landscaping project–at the very least,
the vegetable garden and compost pile
- Spackle and touch up/finish paint all over the house
- Figure out two comfortable reading chairs and lighting in the living room
- Refinish or paint the extra kitchen barstools
Cut down the rest of the old shrubs around the driveway(just one left by the lamp post)
- Patch the concrete under the garage door
- Organize basement sewing area and kids’ craft area
refinish dresserand redecorate Miss Seven’s room
After five months, I guess that’s not too bad. Add the powder room makeover, which wasn’t even on the list, and I feel pretty good about our progress. I have all the supplies for the computer desk project–now I just need to DO it.
As I look at the list, I realize those extra kitchen barstools aren’t really a priority. Since I found a place for them in the pantry, I don’t have to look at them when we’re not using them. In my mind, I’ve added Mr. Ten’s room to the list. After seeing the redecorating plans for Miss Seven’s room, he decided he is also ready for a new look. We’re going to repaint, get him a tall bookcase and maybe a reading chair, rearrange the furniture, and generally declutter. He’s picked out a cool gray-blue color called “Ozone” for the walls, which should take him into the teen years without needing another big change.
So what’s at the top of my summer list?
- Assemble the new computer desk already! (And probably add some wall shelving above it.)
- Paint both kids’ rooms.
- Landscaping: repair and replant grass in the front yard, and add some new plants in front of the porch.
- Organize tools in the garage.
- Patch the concrete under the garage door.
That feels plenty ambitious for one summer! My goal for today is to strip the paint off the door that will serve as the top of the computer desk. This weekend, weather permitting, we hope to work on the yard a little.
What summer projects are on your list this year?