I’m not a fan of New Year’s resolutions. A list of things I ought to improve about myself that will mock me when I find it balled up in the back of a drawer in November? No, thank you. But today, as I caught up with the hundreds of posts in my Google Reader, I discovered that several bloggers had made lists of resolutions for their home. That seems nice and concrete to me, a list of things that, once achieved, I can cross off and pat myself on the back.
So here, in no particular order, are my 12 resolutions for our home in the new year. Sure, there are plenty of other projects bouncing around in my brain (oh disorganized pantry and sticky cabinet doors), but I think committing to crossing one off the list each month is enough for me. As they say, anything else is gravy.
- Paint and paper the kids’ bathroom; replace the shoe moulding; add floating shelves (bonus points: raise the light fixture and frame the mirror)
- Organize the tools in the garage
- Clean out the laundry room
- Replace the computer armoire with a simple desk in the living room (maybe a DIY with an old door and some IKEA table legs)
- Continue the landscaping project–at the very least, the vegetable garden and compost pile
- Spackle and touch up/finish paint all over the house
- Figure out two comfortable reading chairs and lighting in the living room
- Refinish or paint the extra kitchen barstools
- Cut down the rest of the old shrubs around the driveway
- Patch the concrete under the garage door
- Organize basement sewing area and kids’ craft area
- Paint, refinish dresser and redecorate Miss Seven’s room
Do you have any home-related New Year’s resolutions?